Empty Container Shortage Jeopardizes China’s Import Market
The gleam of hop this week in the (PMA) Pacific Maritime Association and (ILWU) International Longshore and Warehouse Union negotiations regarding the struggling West Coast import trade community is facing another disaster! The shortage of empty containers in China to carry the unpredicted high volume of USA imports.
While the high demand is the arising problem, the growing empty container crisis is a result in the elements listed below:
- Port congestion slowing container turn-around times
- Adequate U.S. export levels
- Vessel unavailability to port affects scheduling
- Leisurely return of the empties at destination
- Inept chassis usages in USA
- Overall shortfall of the worldwide container pool
Also airlines are expecting an extreme escalation in air cargo and pricing out of China in the next few weeks.